1. Welcome to Zerp Australia!Welcome!

Connect to minecraft using zerpau.com or join us on the forums by signing up.

Below are some useful links:

Dismiss Notice

Accepted cocoDaWog's Staff Application

Discussion in 'Staff Applications' started by cocoDaWog, May 26, 2018.

1. cocoDaWog

cocoDaWog Retired
    Retired Staff

Minecraft Username:
    cocoDaWog
    Hello there!

My name is Nic, but you might know me as cocoDaWog, coco, or simply.. wog.
    I'm a semi-regular on the Zerp server, I'm mostly active during afternoons after work and on weekends.

So, why am I applying for a staff position? First and foremost, I like to help. If you need an extra pair of eyes to help keep the server friendly, then I am all for putting my hand up.

Second to that, my short time with the Zerp community has been an absolute blast. I have made many a good friend here, some of which I think will last for quite a long time. The atmosphere is relaxed and welcoming, and I would love to be able to help maintain these values within the community.

I am generally an understanding person, and do not mind helping out new players and getting them comfortable with the server and the community. There's nothing better than having a new person join and striking up a conversation with them.

Becoming a member of staff would strengthen my ties to the community, and give me more responsibility, which is something I absolutely love. Within my work, I have a high level of responsibility which includes literally being accountable for the lives of my workmates, and I love every stressful angst-filled moment of it. I love a challenge, and will jump on one whenever I see one.

In summary,
    I want to help maintain strong community core values; strengthen the face of the community; help our members remain comfortable and relaxed; and aid new players in becoming part of the community.

Thanks for your time!

Sincerely,

Nic 'Wog' Coco.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Daisy_Digger

Daisy_Digger Donator

Minecraft Username:
    Daisy_Digger
    Good luck Wog :)

3. ScrubKatt

Build Comp Winner

Minecraft Username:
    ScrubKatt
    You did a great job on your Application Coco! Good luck!

4. Djlat

Djlat Moderator
    Staff

Minecraft Username:
    Djlat
    I've just a few questions as to how you might handle a few different situations on the server if they were to occur. These aren't trick questions and there isn't any one defined correct answer as they are open to your interpretation.

1. You have a player who has been playing now for several weeks that you have developed a good rapport with. This member, a donator, has you teleport to them to show you their base. After showing you around you continue to have a look around their base. You find that it appears as though they have used x-ray to mine straight to ores. You discover that they have only done this a handful of times and that the times are dated back 300+ hours ago. What actions would you take?

2. A new guest joins the server and immediately starts talking extremely poor English or another language entirely. It would appear they are asking questions however other players are mocking this new player. After several minutes this new player stops talking but the different remarks from other players continue. What actions would you take?

3. A freshly accepted member has logged onto the server that you have not seen before. You decide to investigate their player history after noticing they already have full enchanted diamond armour and diamond tools. Likewise, you notice that they appear to have taken this items from another players house. Searching through the logs, you can see that there once was a player here, but it has been so long ago that there are no records of who this player is. What actions would you take?

5. cocoDaWog

cocoDaWog Retired
    Retired Staff

Minecraft Username:
    cocoDaWog
    Thanks for the questions Dj, I think this is a really great approach which I haven't actually seen anyone else use before. I'll do my best to answer below:

1. You have a player who has been playing now for several weeks that you have developed a good rapport with. This member, a donator, has you teleport to them to show you their base. After showing you around you continue to have a look around their base. You find that it appears as though they have used x-ray to mine straight to ores. You discover that they have only done this a handful of times and that the times are dated back 300+ hours ago. What actions would you take?

Taking into account that said player invited me to view their base, and that the discovered incidents happened a fair while ago, I would take note of my discoveries. I would not raise the issue with the player then and there, again considering the circumstances, in order not to instigate any rash actions.

I would give the player the benefit of the doubt that they realized their actions were wrong early-on and put an end to it to better themselves and their involvement in the community. However, I would take my notes to my fellow staff members for further discussion about the issue.

Considering the player has invested money into the server, and invested time whilst obeying the rules, I would want to reach a conclusion with my team who are also active members of the community. This does not mean I would recommend nothing be done about it, but all pathways should be discussed with the team.

Possible outcomes include intermittent monitoring of the players activities; verbal warnings; and if policy/discussion dictates, possible temporary ban (however this would be my absolute last resort in order to keep the peace as best as possible).

2. A new guest joins the server and immediately starts talking extremely poor English or another language entirely. It would appear they are asking questions however other players are mocking this new player. After several minutes this new player stops talking but the different remarks from other players continue. What actions would you take?

I would immediately ask the other players politely to stop what they are doing, and that I would try and handle the situation. If there are players who continue to ignore that request, I may have to implement temporary mutes whilst I try to get everything under control.

I would start a conversation with the player, initially asking them if they speak any English. I would try and keep it as friendly as possible, using smiley faces etc. to try to make them feel comfortable and welcome.

If the player has extremely poor English skills, or total lack thereof, I would endeavor to find out which language they are speaking and try to communicate with them via Google Translate in order to try and help them with any queries they have.

3. A freshly accepted member has logged onto the server that you have not seen before. You decide to investigate their player history after noticing they already have full enchanted diamond armor and diamond tools. Likewise, you notice that they appear to have taken this items from another players house. Searching through the logs, you can see that there once was a player here, but it has been so long ago that there are no records of who this player is. What actions would you take?

This scenario is quite vague and leaves me with the assumption that I am jumping to conclusions about this player / the situation. I have answered below the best I feel I can. If you would like to re-word the scenario I will happily give you another answer.

I would consider the possibility that this player was either gifted these items, which does happen often, or bought these items themselves.

If there was partial evidence that this player may have stolen the items from another player, but no actual proof (via logs, etc), then I would collect all relevant information I can and raise the issue with the staff team for further discussion as someone else may have more knowledge about this specific player. From there a course of action will be decided on, I wouldn't jump to conclusions myself.

#5 cocoDaWog, May 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 30, 2018
  6. Zerp

Zerp Administrator
    Staff

Minecraft Username:
    Zerp
    Solid application, to the secret vote we go!

7. ScrubKatt

Build Comp Winner

Minecraft Username:
    ScrubKatt
    I'm hoping you get it Coco, my support goes to you in all honesty.

8. Zerp

Zerp Administrator
    Staff

Minecraft Username:
    Zerp
    Congrats :)

Staff Vote

Should cocoDaWog become a moderator?

Yes: 4 Votes (100.0%)
    No: 0 Votes (0.0%)

9. apendix99

apendix99 Donator